I realized I never did an ending post to my mission blog! I am so sorry for that! But I am going good, studying and working. I am going out with the sisters sometimes which is always a plus! :) If you have any questions please email me! I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the mission! my email is firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope you enjoyed reading my emails and continue to enjoy them!!!
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
( moms translations)
Dear Family and Friends,
Well...here is my last letter here in the mission field. My last stories I will tell you.
So, one day we were walking normal...and a motorcycle passed by us. And you heard this big SMACK and I felt pain. The guys on the motorcycle as they passed by smacked my butt but super hard...obviously...on a moto (motorcycle) there is more force. My comp thought they hit my arm that is how loud the sound was. Ya...
So we worked so hard with J___ so he could get baptized this saturday. We waited until 7 pm in the pouring rain while the elders talked to his mom. When they got the ok. they did the interview right then and there. It was a crazy night. We then were walking home and a guy offered us a ride. When the elder opened the door he realized he was drunk. that would have been a disaster. haha.
So i celebrated my last birthday here. I showered and everything. I straightened my hair. Then at 11:30 the elders come over...they give me chocolate and one of them goes, hermana what does it say there? when i looked down to read it, SPLAT! he cracked an egg on my head. Then when i put my head down to take out the egg...SPLAT the other elder cracked one on my head. Then they gave one to hermana ordoñez but i thought , no she won`t. She slowly came and SPLAT...a third egg. My lovely ZL got it all on video. haha. (cracking eggs on people’s head is a birthday tradition in Nicaragua...along with something else you will read about in a minute)
So then I had to shower again. haha. We then worked hard to complete the goals because at 7 we had a Family Home Evening. We stopped by M_____ who was always completing a bday..(making sure birthdays are complete) .she gave us pizza. also hermana S_______ where we eat lunch completes on this day too.
We visited hermana R____...who dumped baby powder on me for my bday. haha. she enjoyed that. (another tradition)
Then at the FHE Y____ gave me a powerpoint he made for me. I also got, lotion, a jewelry box, chocolate. Some members wanted to take me out to pizza but we had made plans ya (already) with another family.
After the FHE they wanted to take a foto (not a misspelling. This is how you say it, write it in spanish) with me outside. When they were taking the photo SPLAT. egg number 4. haha. From there we went to R____'s house. We took fotos, they gave us dinner. And then R_____ gave me a gift. A book of poems in spanish! Then they said they had a surprise for me. We go outside and SPLAT SPLAT....2 more eggs! haha. 6 in total!
That night of my bday after my comp was sleeping...I started to cry. I just felt so sad....I didn`t want to go home. I feel more closer to these people and am so used to this life more than my old life. I don`t even remember my life before.
During our weekly planning, tambien (also) i cried.
In our last reunion as a zone, I had to share my testimony...also I cried.
This week we put two fechas (baptismal dates) with 2 families. We had contacted one of the families about a week ago. We had decided to look for the house. God directed us exactly to his house. And we put fecha. (baptismal date)
So saturday we found J______...he wasn`t going to get baptized. So we took fotos with him, and then we wanted him to do the prayer for the last time. He didn`t want to. he had earrings! after 10 min he said i hope you forgive me one day but i am not going to do it...and left. he told us he wanted to get baptized but without his moms help...no. we were heartbroken.
so we went to M_____`s BAPTISM! I was so happy I got to see her baptism.!!! :) in the fotos we dont look as happy for what happened with J_____..but i cried. knowing that this was my last baptism in the mission. Ya its real that my work is coming to an end.
So sunday I gave a talk. I used alma 26. I cried of course. haha. I talked with R_____`s grandma and she told me R_____'s brother M_____ is sad that i am leaving. when i was giving my talk he asked, is she leaving? and the grandma replied, yes, to her country. are you going to go with her? he said, i am going to think about it. haha. he is 6 years old but always gives me the longest hugs, and is so sweet.
So last night i started packing to have time to sleep my last night. I don`t want to be up forever packing. It is crazy.
So...this week has been a week of trials. I haven`t even told you the minimum of trials i had this week. to a point that I really wanted to go home. But even though i have passed through these trials, my heart is heavy and sad to leave. Yes, i want to rest. but i don`t want to leave this work.
Of all the blessings I have received...the best blessing is the time God gave me to serve a mission.
(Kaitlin comes home Thursday night and we are so very excited to have her home. Thank you all for reading her letters and journeying with us to Nicaragua. We know that your thoughts and prayers have been a help to her and to us.)
Posted by Kaitlin Rose Chase at 8:26 AM
Monday, August 25, 2014
Dear Family and Friends,
So my heavenly father continues to bless the people of Nicaragua...and by doing so, he blesses my own life.
This week I had my last interview with president....to say goodbye. They took my cedula..my...what is it called...like a license...idk. Anyway, I am not nica now....;( The interview was about 1 1-2 hours long. A ton of questions about my favorite things, the worst things. About my life after the mission...yes marriage. haha. The first thing president told me was, hermana I don`t know why...but i feel like i need you here more time. He said that like 6 times during the interview...
I was going strong until he said...hermana chase, many missionaries when they get home, they miss the mission. They think it is for their converts, the members, the area....but no. They don`t realize that what they miss is the constant companionship of the holy ghost. So hermana, how can you keep that spiritualness when you get home?...besides the normal answers of pray, read...etc.
I surprised myself and said I didn`t know. and I started to cry...I said, president. That is what I am afraid of. To go home and not feel the same.
It`s interesting ending your mission. There are moments where you are happy to go. Others where you don`t want to go.
President also gave me another medallion that those robbers stole from me. So I have a reminder still from my mission. That was nice of presidente.
He also gave me a paper to fill out my testimony to give him the last day. apparently they keep the copy in a binder of all their ´hijos` (children)
So we had divisions with the hermana leaders. I went with my old companion hermana santos to her area. she came here with me, but goes home one change after me. I am the only one from my original group going home. In total...about 14 people going home this change and like 25 new people coming. anyway...i just realized that I am dying normal. there are people that are dying faster than me and still have time here! wow.! haha
So we got m___ dad to sign the paper! so she is going to get baptized this saturday! wahoo!!!!
We had interviews with president as a zone. The normal interviews. Hermana russell went to inspect our houses...we got 100 percent clean!!!! she left brownies for us!!! we were up til 12 cleaning!!! Hermana russell when checking the houses found a personal cell phone from a sister who is going home with me...yikes. so you can see that I am still holding on strong guys. haha
So we are teaching a new joven s___. He is 25. doesn`t go to church but his mom is catholic. Anyway...we were teaching him and we put a fecha. (baptismal date) his mom happened to come in when we did. She starts saying he is crazy. That if he does, she will be mad. Then looks at us and goes, no offense. you just have to respect other peoples religion.... well..we didn`t say anything mean because we were in her house. But santiago said she had to respect us, that we were going to come by everyday..haha, and then he asked us if next time we could teach in another house...we said of course!!!! he really wants to know more.
Our other investigator v___...we had a good lesson. she said she can see the change in herself. That she feels God is closer to her. That she feels something good when she prays, that makes her want to thank god. That she never has felt that in any other church. I almost cried. It is moments like this that make the 18 months worth it.
We found j__ and we macheted him with love. He said he wasn`t going to church because sometimes they call him to work. we said test God, and tell them no. a bunch of stuff... it was a good lesson. he said he wants to get baptized but because he hasn`t been going to church,. no.
sunday...miracle. J___ showed up!!! he said they called him to work but he said no! And two others came!!!! tomorrow we are going to get permission from j___`mom and he also will get baptized saturday!
it was a good week! lots of miracles!!!
`at all times, accept His will. be ready to go where he asks you to go and to do what he asks you to do. become the men and women he is nurturing you to become´
quote from bishop gerald caussè
i love you all!!!! wish me luck this week! pray for these 2 jovenes so that everything goes good so they can get baptized this week!!!
Posted by Kaitlin Rose Chase at 5:28 PM
Monday, August 18, 2014
( moms attempts at translation)
HELLO FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
So I can`t believe I have two weeks left. I am writing early today because I have my LAST interview with president. Last as in...where he talks about after the mission and stuff. Crazy...claro que (of course) on thursday we have interviews as a zone...I imagine he won`t have much to say to me after today. haha.
So this week was a bit hard. I won`t go into too much detail verdad,( true, as in truthfully I won’t go into much detail) but here i go.
We visited K___, my convert. She was with her boyfriend `studying, but i asked if we could at least do a prayer. I convinced her to let us in. She was bien duro...real hard. If that makes sense. In the way she answered and talked. She said even though she hasn`t been going to church she hasn`t forgotten God....blah blah. Anyway...once we left I started to cry. I always cry there. It just hurts so much to see one of your OWN converts act like that. and knowing that in 2 weeks I won`t be here to help her.
We visited L___. Missionaries have been visiting her since the 90`s. Her husband was a member, but died about 1 year ago. She has she never got an answer. Anyway...I explained in Doctrine and Covenants 6 it explains to think back on the night you prayed...and if you felt peace. anyway...my companion macheted her a bit...(took her to task) which was needed. Anyway afterwards...my companion didn`t say a word. So I ended the lesson and we left. My comp started to cry and said that she will never learn to convert the people. That she shared her testimony with lila and she took it like nothing. I had to explain that if the hearts of the people are closed...they wont understand. that if L___ takes it hard it is because it is true. I had to read her some scriptures.
Then that night the elders did a mean joke. I thought it was funny but my companion no. So they brought us mail. I had 2 and they gave my companion one. She has been waiting for a letter from her family for like 3 weeks so she was excited. But it was from someone in the states. She thought maybe it was for the other hermana ordoñez. We went into a room and she opened it. It was a paper that said something in english....it was a joke from the elders. When we left to go yell at them...they fled. We went into the bathroom and she cried. poor thing.
I did get a letter from brother davis. Thank you so much brother davis. I was feeling week, and dead. But your letter helped give me the energy I need to push on these 2 weeks. Really, God answered my prayer through your letter. I thank you with all my heart for sending me the story... I know now that even though I might not be here for the baptisms..there are still people I can help bring to Christ.
We visited A___ and we made tortillas. ;)
We visited an investigator who doesn`t like to pray. She has passed through A LOT of suffering. She says the few times she prays...she only gives thanks for health and life. That many times she ends up yelling at God. We are trying to think of a way to help her so that she can pray.
We visited V___. Taught the law of chastity. Looks like she doesn`t want to marry her companion....
we visited a convert who tells us...I have good news! I have been visiting a christian church...um...NO! he says he never really got his answer. That he went to a church like this one when he was a kid and he likes it. We macheted him (took him to task) and told him to pray.
F___ was home so we helped them collect beans. ;) FUN.
M____ drank coffee...so now she will have to wait until saturday to be baptized.
We had invited someone we contacted to church. He said if we passed for him (went to get him) he would go. I thought it was a lie. We got there and he was ready! after the two hours he said he had to go...when he was walking to the door, a member said hey welcome, and pulled him into the last class! haha. he stayed. haha. afterwards we asked how it all went. he said he felt satisfied. We asked if he would go the next week. he said yes, so don`t fail me. :)
So V___ didn`t go to church...turns out her husband heard the lesson we taught...when we said she had to get married or leave him. They argued. So of course after my companion cried because she was the one who said that. I told her no that we had to tell her that...she is living in sin and these are the two options to fix it. But that the next time we will talk with her husband.
We decided to contact houses. Sometimes it is fun. Two houses...the people entered the house and closed the door on us. Funny. One of them I just continued to contact them through the door and then looked through the hole in the door and said good night. haha.
we also encountered us with a preacher who doesn`t know the bible. Think that God, Christ and the spirit are one person...even though it clearly states that they are different. He says a baptism is only the name of christ, even though in matthew it says the three names. It even got to the point where he wanted us to bring our prophet here to talk to him..even though we told him to pray...
Anyway...what a week. But today we are going to managua for my interview...and we can eat mcdonalds!!! wahoo!!! this week will be great. Better. :)
Thank you all for your support. This week I learned that I KNOW these things are true. And NOBODY can change that. NOBODY can take that away from me. That is why I am here. People can tell me a bunch of things, but that won`t change what I believe.
I love you all!
Posted by Kaitlin Rose Chase at 11:35 AM
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
(moms attempts at translation)
How many times do we want to see the rainbow before we give thanks for the rain? -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
So our investigator V____ told us that the day we found her in the park was the same day that she had prayed to know which church she should go to. Then she hadn’t planned on going to church...but there she was. We explained that the Lord knows everything and that it wasn’t a coincidence.
Our investigator P_____...went to the hospital...she is about to have her baby...so that kinda slows things down for now. But she likes the church and everything.
S_____ is a less active joven..he has long hair and always puts oil in it to be plastered to his face, and uses a hat. we went prepared to tell him to cut his hair...we got there and our jaws dropped. he cut his hair! and wow!!! The next day we found him leaving his house to leave with the elders!!! we are so happy!!!
Wednesday during the fhe we had the interview for M_____. HE PASSED!!! also...I got to talk to a joven from la concha who leaves in oct to go on a mission to guatemala.
Friday we had our district meeting in la concha...funny story. we took a BIG bus. When it stopped for us to get off, I got off first. Then my comp. Well when I looked back...BOOM. she fell. Instead of walking down the steps of the bus she went to go directly from the bus to the curb...and her skirt didn’t let her. so splat. she fell. the elders came up behind us...and i knelt down by her. she just kept saying...que pena...que pena.. (what a shame...being embarrased) i go, hermana, its part of the mission. everything passes in the mission. haha. one elder goes, y aye hermana...did you not have your glasses on? haha.
So v____...we had invited her to pray about joseph smith. The next visit we got there and she asks if we can come back another day. We ask why. she says she didn’t pray. We were happy that she was so honest. most people don’t even remember to pray. So we came back the next day. She prayed. She said she still doesn’t know the answer. but she said it was a good experience. That she cried. I know that she felt the spirit when she prayed.
Saturday we had a BAPTISM of R____ !!!. I was waiting forever for this day!!! He stopped smoking, drinking alcohol and coffee. Stanley baptized him. Afterward he thanked us. haha. He is so sweet! I hope now he can perseverar hasta el fin (endure to the end) so he can have eternal life. He also got to talk to hermana eusebio on the phone.
Well...the lord continues to bless me here in this work. I have 3 weeks left. crazy. It is weird to think that one day i wont be doing this. But i am glad i still have 3 weeks left to help and visit people.
I hope you are all doing well. sorry my letters are getting shorter. I guess I just think I will be home soon to tell you in person. haha
Posted by Kaitlin Rose Chase at 8:59 AM
Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Dear Family and Friends,
So this week was a bit stressful, a bit tiring. Here I go..HAHA.
1. So we visited an investigator who is muso. (flirty) He hadn`t read the Book of Mormon, so I got serious and took out the machete. ( got serious) At one point he took out his phone and my comp told him she would wait until he was paying attention and looking at her. he goes, `mejor voy a mirar a la hna chase.` (better, I;m going to look at sister chase) aye yay yay. Then when I got upset he goes, `why are you upset? you are too pretty to be upset...`
2. My first convert from la concha m___, called me. She is struggling and called me to talk to me. I felt so special that she called ME of all people to help her. I don`t think she is as close to the other sisters there.
3. We helped a___ go to jinotepe to see if she had previously been married or not. And then we took a bus to diriamba because our hermana leader was with a mini missionary and they were going to stay the night with us. when we got there they told us that the elders just called and changed their minds....so we just got back on the bus haha, but the mini missionary was DULCE! (sweet) she is a joven i (young adult) in masaya that helped us a bit. she has her mission call and leaves in october i think. It was so good to see her!
4. We stopped by k____ house, my convert and her sister M___ was home. She motions me to come closer and whispers in my ear...`i want to get baptized the 19th.` WOW!!! she has gone to church like a million times but never was interested. The only thing is that we have to get permission from her dad.
5. So A___ was not married so we quickly did the plans for their wedding and baptism of F____.
6. In our zone meeting, presidente has raised the goals. we now have to teach 7 lessons with investigators each day, contact 24 people, 4 lessons with converts and less actives, and have 6 people at church. wow. Also our ZL congratulated me and my comp for baptizing the most people in our zone in the month of july! wahoo!!! haha. hermana santos shared the scripture in mark 5:23...cualquier cosa donde ponga las manos jesus vivira. ( whatever things Christ touches, or lays His hands on, lives)
y en agosto jesus pondra sus manos en zona carazo (and in august Christ will lay his hands on, or touch, the carazo zone)
7. friday night we were planning and we heard as if someone was on the roof breaking in. a member had told us that 3 houses had already been robbed. So we slept with the lights on. at 5 in the morning we heard it again.
8. saturday we cleaned the church and got everything ready in the morning. We went with a____ to look for a cake for her wedding...we ended up paying for it. The bishops wife also did her hair and makeup cuz she has a salon. So everybody got to the wedding on time. at 7pm...and the abogado... (justice of the peace) got there at 8:15!!! By the time we had the wedding, and the baptism we finished at 9:30 at night. wow...we were so dead tired. That night we heard people above our house again...i didn`t sleep.
9. Sunday we were dead tired...I haven`t slept good at all this change. But the good news is that we had investigators at church! miguel came! his baptism is for this saturday! he just needs an interview. After lunch we rested our heads....the hermana asks us if we want to use her bed for 30 min to rest. we thanked her but told her we were okay. she told us that she could tell we were tired. haha. Then we had a fhe with a___ and f___...about 20 people from the ward showed up. Then we had hermano r___and hermana p___ come with us to our house to check it. He said there was nothing cutting on the roof. that everything was okay. so i think we are just going crazy and hearing things. That night I slept with the fan and slept in peace. The first time in a long time.
10. today we went to my old area and i visited two converts. It was great to see them. I almost cried. I surprised myself. Fr___ gave us two avocados and a watermelon. and gave us arroz con leche. (rice with milk) haha. then v____ fed us lunch. wow we were so full!
I am loving my last weeks here...there is a bit more drama and a bit more stress..and so part of me wants to go to leave the stress..but the other part of me doesn`t want to leave these wonderful people. I am excited for the baptism of miguel that we will have. he is special for me. I love you all! and hope you all help the missionaries...even if you just give them food or a drink. haha. ;)
Posted by Kaitlin Rose Chase at 7:43 PM
Monday, July 28, 2014
(mom’s translations) (I love the last paragraph of this letter.)
So..my last change...(transfer) 5 weeks left. I can`t believe it. The time goes so fast.
So I didn`t have changes. (transfers)..I am still in san marcos!!! But my hija (the companion she trained) had changes. She is in my old area en masaya!!! She has talked to some of my converts!!!
My new companion is Hermana O__ from Honduras. She just turned 19 and has 6 months in the mission. This is her second area. She teaches really well. There is just one problem. I can`t sleep!!! haha. She talks in her sleep every night! She says she only does it when she is tired...but it is every night. The first night she gave me a heart attack. She walked in her sleep. We sleep in a bunk bed..I am on top. well she got up and just stood there facing me. I freaked. Then she climbed back in. When she talks it isn`t like quiet..no she moves and talks loud. Every night I get freaked out. I am scared of people who sleep walk. SO I have been sleeping with my glasses and the phone in my hand for light. ya...last night she yells, hermana. I knew she was sleeping. But when she yelled hermana again i thought maybe she was awake and needed something. SO I go, si? silence. and then she says, BOO. okay...freaked me out. One hour later. Hermana. are you hard asleep? I don`t know what I am going to do. I can`t sleep at night. I see the hours passing each night. I always tell her its not a big deal. I laugh with her after...but she has no idea the horror in the moment...haha. Also she was in managua where it was hot so she is always cold...so we don`t use the fan. I sweat so much in the night plus i have nerves for her sleep talking...i am going to loose weight. haha.
A member had a dream about me crying..but crying like super hard. he thought that was super weird. I told him to just wait because in 5 weeks his dream will come true haha.
So the good things...hah
1. E__ who got baptized...prayed with us for the FIRST TIME!!!
2. M___ had lied one day and had smoked and drank for the whole day. He felt bad and decided to never do it again. That he wants to reach his baptism goal. Now he has 1 week without drinking or smoking!!! He says people offer him but he just says no!!!!
3. We found my convert k__. She let us in! When we left she hugged me and told me thank you for coming. ;)
4. F___...he came to church for the first hour! Even though our last lesson with him was a bit hard. He made a comment to my companion that she is hard. harder than my other companion. That hurt my comanion and she cried after the lesson. This is her first change and she is struggling a bit.
5. There is a guy who is muso (a real flirt) ..his dad was a member...ya muriò. (he has passed away already) he wants to know about the church. Well this time when I went with my new comp he was total muso! (flirty) wanted to know when I would go back to the states...he lives there. obviously i didn`t tell him. I said i had a bit more than 1 year here. he wanted to know my name. he said he would go to church if i passed by for him. (came to get him) in his PRAYER he asked that one day I would tell him my name. he even wanted me to write something in his book of mormon. ya...so we will see what happens. I just ignore the comments. and when he refers to me, i respond with us...my comp and i.
6. so m___...he has read up to 1 nephi 4!!! he goes to our baptisms...and the activities wednesday. he didn`t want to go to sunday but he went!!! his prayers are really good now too!!!!
7. y___ prayed for the FIRST time with us before his baptism!!! I started to cry. I don`t know why. I think because it is my first family...and to see him progress..
8. y___ got baptized!!! my FIRST FAMILY!!! wahoo!!!! It was so great to see them there together!!!
9. Fe___ is excited for his baptism saturday! He is reading all the assignments we leave! (they have had a baptism every Saturday in July)
I am so glad for this work. how sad if there aren`t missionaries to share the gospel with these sweet people. I love this work. My heart hurts to know that one day soon I will be leaving it. This is my life. Even though ya (already) part of me wants to be in my old life...the other half of me wants to stay here forever doing this. talking and visiting with these people i love. in the beginning of your mission one thinks it will never come to an end...now here i am. my last 5 weeks...having interviews, pulling out papers to get ready to go home...wow.... Mixed feelings. It is hard.
I love you all. and appreciate you all. I read something interesting in the liahona. the gospel and the church are 2 things different. we NEED the church to help us LIVE the gospel. one can be active in the church but not in the gospel. may we all evaluate our lives...are we just going to church and all the activities or are we actually LIVING the gospel.
Posted by Kaitlin Rose Chase at 9:03 PM