Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Letter to my future self: Hermana Chase

I got this idea from another girl who is going to be serving a mission soon. She had the idea to write a letter to her future self to help remind her why she decided to serve a mission. I loved the idea, so here is my letter to my future self that I will take with me on my mission to help remind me of a few reasons why I decided to serve. 

January 22, 2013
Hermana Chase,
I just want to remind you of the reason why you decided to go on a mission. You leave for the MTC in 43 days and time is starting to go by faster and faster each day. I hope this letter helps on those days where you may be feeling down, nervous, home-sick, or fearful. Do you remember that day when they changed the age for girls? You were up at BYU-I and you were watching conference in your bed. President Thomas S. Monson had just made the announcement for the age change for the boys from 19 to 18. You thought that was pretty interesting. Then came the shocking part. Girls could now go at the age of 19 instead of 21. Do you remember your reaction? You were so shocked, you started crying. That was a huge age jump for sisters, and you happened to be right in that exact age group where it affected you. You immediately took action and asked your home teachers for a blessing. You prayed, read the scriptures, drove to the temple often, and fasted. Remember when you went in to get your temple recommend interview with Bishop Wetzel? As soon as he started asking the interview questions you teared up and you knew that with every answer you gave, it was true.
As of right now, there are multiple reasons why I have decided to serve a mission. I hope you remember these reasons as you are serving (in no particular order). 

1. While studying in Preach My Gospel I came across the scripture Matthew 10:1-10. It talks about the apostles and Christ telling them to go out and preach. Verse 8 reads, "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." That last part is what I focused on. The Lord has given me so many blessings, so many wonderful things to be thankful for. I have a home, a bed, nice clothes, a television, a car, a wonderful family, great friends, but most importantly I have the Gospel. One of the greatest gifts ever given to me. And in a way, it was freely given to me. I was born in the church, so I have had the gospel my whole life. Why shouldn't I freely give to others, when so much has been given to me? 

2. The Gospel is the reason I am who I am. It is the reason I do or don't do certain things. The gospel has helped me in so many ways that I can't even number them. The scriptures are such a blessing to me in my life. They have helped me through the tough times, the good times, the emotional times...everything. Knowing what I know from the gospel I feel better off than others. I know that families can be together forever, for example, and a lot of people don't know that. The Gospel is what keeps me going, and makes me want to be the best person I can be. 

3. Heavenly Father wants all His children to come back and live with Him. What a special thought when you really think about it. What better way than to have those of us who already have the gospel, share it with those who don't so they too can live with us in Heaven with Heavenly Father. I try to think of myself if I didn't have the gospel. If I knew that there was something great out there like the gospel, I would want others to find me to teach me the gospel. I wouldn't want to miss out on that. 

4. I love my Heavenly Father and this is a great way to show to Him how much I love Him. 

5. This gospel means everything to me. It brings me peace, happiness, joy, and I want to help spread that to others so that they can experience the same joy I do, and know that their Heavenly Father knows and loves them. 

These 18 months can be the best 18 months of your life if you let it. Always remember why you decided to serve a mission. I'm sure now that you are out in the field, you have a much stronger appreciation and you truly understand the importance. 

Alma 26:12 "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

2 comments:

  1. Hermana Chase! My name is Kacey Smith. We report to the MTC the same day and we are going to the same mission! I am so excited! Add me on facebook or text me 702-785-7899 :)

    ReplyDelete