Tuesday, May 14, 2013

toilets, spiders, rats, AND a very inspirational story


Familia y amigos,
I forgot to mention last week that we had divisions. I stayed in my area and my comanion left to another area. My new comp for the day was Hermana Gonzalez. Since I had only been here for like 3 weeks I didn´t know how to get anywhere. Luckily, a member, Hermano Douglas went with us to our first few appointments. The elders took us to our dinner apt, only they didn´t have dinner for us. So the elders left and we shared a scripture. Then we got lost coming home. We are supposed to be home by 9....we got home around 9:30. Good thing is that we got a ton of contacts because we would ask for directions and then invite them to church, haha. 

Oh turns out my dad served in the same area where my companion lives. And my dad and her dad are like the same age! crazy!

Mom, happy late mothers day!!!

I got to skype my family sunday for mothers day!! that was fun!!! I got to talk to them for 1 hour. i loved it!!!

So an interesting experience...we were out with a member and my comp had to use the bathroom...we went to someones house and they weren´t there so the member went around the back and had us use the bathroom anyway. she asked if i had to go and i figured i might as well. wrong choice!!! so the bathroom is a cement rectangle with a curtain for the door. I pulled back the curtain and was disgusted. it was just a toilet but you couldnt flush or anything. The toilet lid was like flipped over half covering the seat and IDK what was on the lid. I half squatted and half sat as best I could. Also no toilet paper...and I forgot mine. Ya. haha. The place with no toilet paper is actually the church. yep. 

I met a norte girl who is living here for a bit. She is studying spanish. SHe is here all alone living with someone. Anyway, she came to church this past sunday. She is a member from utah...and her last name is Chase. haha!

So the elders and us helped our investigator Fransisco with his house. He was making the roof taller. So me and my comp helped with laundry and washing dishes while the men did the tough work. haha

We have a little rat or mouse in our house. We tried to get it last night but couldn´t. I video taped it. It´s pretty funny. Mainy because I freaked out at one point. haha.

So..the other day I showered first. My comp goes in to shower and I hear, OH FREAK. I walk over and she goes... YOU SHOWERED WITH A MAN. I look and there is a GIANT spider on the outside of the curtain. Yep...I showered with a HUGE spider. eew. I´m glad I didn´t see it or I would have freaked. 

Sunday night we had dinner with the bishops sister, Perla. I helped her cook. I cut and peeled bananas!!! That night I felt a little better with the spanish and a little more comfortable. Each day I am slowly feeling more comfortable here. 

A member in the ward made me a backpack. OF course I paid for it but it was really nice of him. 

In one lesson with a member family...i was so tired...and it was about 8pm and they were talking about where my comp is from...and I started to fall asleep. Hermano Rodriguez saw and I felt terrible. I was like, LO SIENTO LO SIENTO...ESTOY MUY CANSADA...LO SIENTO. He laughed and they kept talking. Its hard sometimes when I dont understand everything. haha. 

So today for PDAY the elders, and another sister companionship met at the church and made lunch and watched cars 2..in spanish of course. haha. It was fun. We made spaghetti. And then the elders went and got ice cream for us. Pictures will be posted of all this. 

I´ve been speaking more spanish these past few days. Some phrases come a little easier...but I still need to learn grammer rules and stuff.

So its starting to rain. And it rains for 6 months. The other day we were walking through a dirt path and there was a huge puddle and we couldn´t go around it...so we lifted our skirts and trudged through it. So far we aren´t allowed to wear rain boots...but the mission pres wife is going to ask. 

Overall, an okay week. I am getting a little more used to things...slowly. I love you al!!! Thank you for your prayers and letters!!!



Love, 
Hermana Chase

PS...this helps me every day...
Testimony of a Missionary
The following event took place in a ward in Salt Lake City in 1974. It occurred during a sacrament meeting and was told to me by a Regional Representative of the Twelve who was in the meeting. A young man, just before leaving on his mission stood in sacrament meeting and bore in essence the following testimony:
Brothers and Sisters, as you know, the past two weeks I've been waiting for my mission call. During the time I was waiting I had a dream. I knew it was not an ordinary dream. I dreamed I was in the pre-existence and awaiting my call to come to earth. I was filled with the same anticipation and excitement that I had before I received my mission call. In my dream I was talking to a friend, and I felt a special closeness to him, even though I've never met him in this life. As we talked a messenger came and gave me a letter. I knew it was my call to go to earth. In great excitement my friend and I opened the letter. I gave it to him and asked him to read it aloud. It said: "You've been called to earth in a special time and to a special land. You will be born to the true church and you will have the priesthood of God in your home. You will born into a land of plenty, in a land of freedom. You will go to earth in the United States of America."
My friend and I rejoiced as we read my call, and while we were rejoicing the messenger returned. This time he had a letter for my friend. We knew it was his call to earth. My friend gave me the letter to read aloud. His letter said:"You've been called to go to the earth in circumstances of poverty and strife. You will not be raised in the true church. Many hardships will attend your life. Your land will be fraught with political and social difficulties - which will hinder the work of the Lord. You will be born in Costa Rica."
We wept, my friend and I, as we read his call. And my friend looked at me with tears in his eyes, and said, "When we are down on earth, you in your choice land and me in Costa Rica, my friend, please come and find me."
The this young missionary, with tears in his eyes, said, "Brothers and Sisters, I have received my mission call. I am going to Costa Rica."
There is a sequel to the story. About a year after the sacrament meeting, the bishop received a letter from the missionary in Costa Rica. The letter had one sheet of paper in it and on that sheet written in capital letters were four words:
I FOUND MY FRIEND
my teacher hermano chavez gave this to me....but replaced it with nicaragua...wow

No comments:

Post a Comment