Tuesday, October 29, 2013

ants, contacts and insights


Hola!!!
So we have changed our place for lunch. We now eat with family arriaza. Super good food! And more comfortable. We eat lunch with her family and kids, so it is a lot more fun and comfortable.  They have someone who works for them half day and cooks lunch, so that might be why also. Haha.
We found out that our investigator Ana,  lives with her boyfriend. We ended putting a baptism date with him too now. They are super poor. They don’t ever have water. Sometimes no food. They bathe at a house across the street. Sunday her husband couldn’t go to church because he didn’t have any clean clothes.
I drew a picture of Pinnochio this week. Wow!! I think my drawing skills have improved haha. The gifts you receive while on your mission. Haha. I am going to give it to Karla, who always gives me drawings.
I was a little sick this week…but that didn’t stop me from working. I always feel guilty if I don’t work.
It was amazing…the four of us missionaries made it a goal to read alma 26 and then talk about what we learned. I have read this chapter many times before. In fact the scripture on my plaque is from this chapter…but wow…my mind was taken away this time. I learned so much. I wrote about 2 pages of notes from it. One thing I will share. In verses  17-20…before he had been trying to destroy the church, and he says he cant believe the lord is merciful and loving to him. You look now and he has blessings, and success. I feel like this at times. Maybe I am not trying to destroy the church, but there are days when maybe I don’t work as hard, or have a bad attitude. And yet there are days where the lord is still super loving and shows his mercy towards me. I receive many blessings.
We had interviews with president Russell, our mission president. He asked about goals, and we put some goals to accomplish each day with lessons and contacts. He asked if I was studying Spanish in the mornings. I admitted no. This change I haven´t. I don’t know…we are always doing something, or our companion study goes longer. He asked about my obedience. It was good.
One day we woke up early to wash our clothes. Only we couldn’t find the keys. So we started cleaning the house. Well, haha, hermana santos opens up a drawer that we have never touched. She opens it, and slams it closed. She then opens the other and yells ´ormigas!´ Which means ants. She takes the drawer and puts it on the floor and it was like a bomb! They go everywhere! I yell, ´no mi cama!!!´ my bed!!! We grab the brooms and start brushing them. We grab the drawers and take them outside. It was terrible. They were tons of eggs too. I wanted the cabinet out of the house, but we ended up moving it into the other room. We took paper and lit the paper on fire to kill the ants. Now they are all gone, but man…in the end..the keys were on hermana santos´desk…I don’t know how…because we looked there. Haha. 
This same day we were walking at about 6:30 pm and some guys walk by and one says ´buenas noche señorita´and brushes my arm. It was the weirdest feeling ever. Let me just say, when a stranger touches you, and you don’t want to be touched, it feels weird. Well, always when one thing like this happens, it happens more than once in one day. We were buying bread at a corner of a street. A guy on a bike rode up to the curb and so I started to move so he could buy some. He goes, ´don’t worry gringa, I’m not going to rob you. If I wanted to rob you…´he nods and looks at my backpack. I  kinda laugh and say, ´yo sé´. I know. He goes to shake my hand and my thought was, well I am going to contact him. But then he says, ´mucho gusto Hermosa´ and so we just left. It means like pleased to meet you beautiful. 
This week I also read Alma 46 about the title of liberty. I realized wow you could apply this in many ways. In verse 12 is what they fought for. The reason they were fighting. In verse 36 Moroni put it up EVERYWHERE as a reminder. My first thought was, why resist temptation? Why do we say no? Why are we fighting against satan? So I made my own banner for why I am resisting temptation. Then I was thinking this is why our leaders always say to have the word implanted in your heart. So when temptation comes you can say no. Like they planted the titled of liberty. I then thought of why I am here fighting past the hard days to serve a mission. Then I thought this would be great to do with people who accept a baptism date. Why do they want to be baptized and then plant the paper in their house.
My convert valeria told us something interesting. She is a counselor in primary. Well the president told her that she doesn’t want her as her counselor and other stuff. Valeria was heartbroken and her boyfriend also was upset. The bishop talked to her though and told her he is the ONLY one who can release her. She explained to me that for this same person, is the reason another lady doesn’t go to church. It breaks my heart that people are so  judgemental.
We visited fransisco. We are trying to solve his divorce before I go. He is going to sell his bike for 1000 and hermana santos and I are going to pay for 1000. He is going to pay for the other 1000. He told me before I leave he wants a photo to put up  in his house. Also he said, ´hermana chase you cant baptize right…because you don’t have the priesthood.´I told him no I couldn’t. but it was sweet to think that if I did, he would probably ask me.
This week our goal  was to contact 100 people…on Sunday alone we contacted 77 people and met our goal by 1 more. Haha
We also dropped some investigators so we are looking for new ones which is a bit hard…
Lastly…I read a talk ´his grace is sufficient ´by brad Wilcox. He compared the grace of Christ to a child learning to play piano. For example if the mom pays the teacher, she can ask her child for something cuz she paid the debt in full. What does she ask? That her child practices. However, the childs practice does not repay the debt, but shows his appreciation. Its how the child takes advantage of this opportunity his mom gave him to have the best life. The moms joy is found in seeing her child using this gift and improving. Sometimes the child might feel like its too hard, that it will take forever to get it right. But when the child hits  a wrong note, we don’t say he is not worthy to keep practicing. Only that he keeps trying. Perfection is the ultimate goal, but be content with the progress in the right direction. ´there should never be just two options: perfection or giving up.´
´grace is our constant energy source. It is not the light at the end of the tunnel but the light that moves us through the tunnel.´
Quotes…
´Except  in the case of His only perfect Begotten son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but he deals with it. So should we…so  be patient and kind and forgiving.´-elder Jeffery r Holland
I love you all!!! Thank you for all your prayers and letters!
Love,
 Hermana Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment