Monday, November 4, 2013

Divisions, Halloween, Positive outlook


So I am going to write day by day. I always use my journal to write letters, because i always forget things. 


One day elder Garcia accidentally spilled smoothie on my backpack, but I couldn´t wash it, because I had divisions with the zone next day and so i just kinda washed it with a rag. For divisions I was with Hermana Pimentel in Rivas. She is 23 and from El salvador. She is super nice. She is in training still! only has 1 month here. So teaching with her was  a bit wierd. I took the lead in all the lessons, even though it wasn´t my area, and I even was the one to put a baptism date with someone. Wow her area is amazing. One joven  (young man) is super ready. He said yes he would be baptized if he gets an answer because if this is the restored church, then he needs to. We contacted some great people, and it was a great experience for me. At the end of the day, my head hurt and I was super tired. A day as a mom for me. haha. Hermana pimentel is a convert...about 3 years. it amazes me these people who serve with so little time in the gospel. People are joking that I was with her to get prepared to train this transfer. We find out who trains tomorrow.

We started teaching an 11 year old girl. She has been going to church for years on and off and they just realized now she isn´t a member. Our first time teaching only a child. We talked about baptism. She said she was baptized at age 5 in the catholic church...which is harder because she remembers it. We left a verse to read in the Book Of Mormon and told her to pray. 

This week we taught some new people, who are fairly positive compared to the people we have now. 

Halloween here...its wierd. a bit scary. There is like a parade of people dressed up with music,and they walk in the street.But I don’t know how to explain it. It felt more satanic than anything. they don’t ask for candy or anything. mainly just dress up scary and idk....we  returned to our house a bit early that day, haha

Friday we had our district meeting. I got cards from becca, sister peterson, brother king, pres markham, and grandpa alatorre. Hermana Santos gave the lesson on faith and diligence. 

We taught a new joven. (young man)  Hermano M___. We had planned on teaching lesson 3 and after we talked about faith, I asked how he was with his prayers. He said he doesn’t pray too much.  We ended up talking about prayer and then the church. He says he isn’t ready to go to church. He had good questions. Like, do you think that you have to go to church to believe in god? There was a moment where I almost cried. I was explaining about prayer and asking if he REALLY understood that he is a child of God. that he is special to him. I remember an apostle said that when we truly understand we are children of God, it is easier to pray because we understand that we are just talking to our father. 

Then we were fasting because it is the first sunday. We actually found Ma___ and he talked a lot more, and actually said he would go to church. We told him we would pass by in the morning. Then we had planned on talking to fransisco about his divorce and that he needs to work more on his part, and not just us. 

I ended up talking to my comp because I feel like sometimes I am not guided by the spirit a lot. We had a good talk. And she always tells me that I am kind, and am always looking for ways to serve people. That I am humble. That I am different than other norte americanos. She said its usually the latinos that serve and are loving, but that I am like that. Also Elder trujillo said I am humble. They always say that I never do anything wrong, that I am innocent, humble..etc. Sometimes its a bit hard when they say that because I don’t feel like i actually live up to that. I feel like I make mistakes all the time.. That I am not humble. But I am trying to be the best person I can be. 

Sunday was a bit hard. We woke up at 5:30 for ward council., And literally like 4 people showed up. It wasn´t until 8 when about 8 people came. We left at 8 to go for our investigators. Well s___ and his kids...no. F___...no. We went for a___, and she said she couldn’t go because her husband was super drunk and she didn’t have the keys to lock her house. She said its hard to live like this, but she would try to find someone who could watch the house. We had planned their wedding and baptism for her this sat...but now we don’t know if they are going to separate or what. hermana hassel called and said she couldn’t go for ma___. So we did. and he wasn’t home. During church I don’t know why, but I just felt like crying and sleeping. That night I reflected back, and thought that sometimes I feel like since we are fasting, that everything should go great. But sometimes I think that when things don´t go right when we fast, it is to try our faith and patience. 

I read a talk entitled, how can i be a successful missionary? by lauren bangerter wilde. It is EXACTLY how I feel. It is in the oct liahona. read it if you want to know. Some quotes I liked:
-we set goals to show our faith. We follow up on goals to count our blessings.

-i could not control whether or not the people in my mission would accept the gospel message, but i could control the type of missionary i chose to be

-discouragement will weaken your faith. if you lower your expectations, your effectiveness will decrease, your desire will weaken, and you will have greater difficulty following the spirit.

-alma 29:14-16

-when you have done your very best, you may still experience disappointments, but you will not be disappointed in yourself. you can feel certain that the lord is pleased when you feel the spirit working through you.

the work of the lord is hastening. ´as surely as the lord has inspired more missionaries to serve, he is also awakening the minds and opening the hearts of more good and honest people to receive his missionaries.' -neil l andersen

Well. after studying all that, I have decided to strive even harder to be better. to point out the positives, and not the negatives. To not compare my success with others. To just work hard, and enjoy my time here. 

I love you all. thank you for the letters, prayers and your love. 

Ps...I will finish 8 months this week...the 6th...crazy how fast time flies. 

love,
hermana chase

No comments:

Post a Comment