Monday, March 17, 2014

funerals and investigators


 (notes in parenthesis are by mom)

HOLA! First of all, sorry I haven`t had many pics lately. haha. I promise I am still alive. Well, here I go with my week. :) 

So we started teaching a man who was ex-communicated about who knows...30 years ago. He is the grandpa of my convert. Well one day after we sang, he goes, `are you taking anything for your cough? Cuz you cannot sing like that...`  haha.  (Kaitlin has been sick for about a month, with aches, and fevers on and off, etc. )

So this week I got a blessing from My District leader and his companion for health. I had a fever for a few days. I had a cough, a cold, achy, and not much of an appetite. In the blessing it said, `if I do the will of God, If I do the work, I will get better.`  So I continue to work. :) 

We have an investigator Juana who in one lesson told us she has a cousin who is a member. And she always sees them happy and like they don`t have problems, even though she knows they do. She asked herself why they have this peace. In that lesson we left a book of mormon. And invited her to read. She is such a great investigator! 

One day we were walking in the street and my companion starts talking to a lady. Like she knew her...but I could not remember who she was. My backpack felt weird so I went to take it off and BOOM...it fell to the floor. The straps broke. I kicked it to the side, and said to the lady, `oh...entonces no leyò?...or in other words...`oh you didn`t read?`  After she left...we started laughing. It was an investigator that we dropped because we could never find her. For the rest of the night I ended up tying the straps together. haha. so now in awkward moments we always say, `no leyò?...haha

So we had another lesson with the grandpa of our convert. This time he gave me raisins that supposedly help with a cough. He really doesn`t like the fact that I have a cough. I think he wants to kill me if I don`t get healed. haha. 

So one night we were with my convert Ezequiel. He was explaining that here they  have a word that is like slang or idk...for robber. He said it`s `araña`  or spider. So on news reports it will say that the police were chasing a spider...or a spider just robbed a girl...haha. well like 5 minutes after he said that a guy on a moto  (motorcycle) drove passed and then police chasing him. We go...`look the police are chasing a spider!`  haha. 

So we had another lesson with Juana. We taught the restoration about joseph smith. She believes that if we had prophets before, we will have prophets now. She said it makes sense because we have the same structure that Christ had when he had his church. She had questions about where the pastors and people got their authority. She said she felt something different and that we were sincere with her. That she felt satisfied. :)

So the grandma of my convert passed away. What they do here is they have her body in the house...well in a coffin and then everyone comes to the house just to be there. You can look at her, and you just visit. Then the next day was the funeral. What they do is everyone meets at the house. They walk together from the house to the church...in the street. They carried the coffin in a carriage. At the funeral only bishop and his counselor talked. And ya. Then everyone walked together to the cemetery. One funny thing...when bishop welcomed everybody he called it a baptism service...TWICE. haha. Hermana Aurelia was such a good person. She always gave us drinks when we went there. 

We found a lady named Milagro..or miracle who left the church for something that a return missionary did. So she gave up her exaltation for what someone else did...it is so sad. 

We also found an old couple, Lilian and Ricardo. They have someone who comes to take care of Ricardo during the day. We visited with them for a bit. Ricardo has a stern face, but he was cracking jokes. He is so cute. They have been married almost 60 years. I had to have my companion say the prayer because everytime Ricardo laughed and smiled I thought of my grandparents and I almost cried. I guess you could say I love my family. :) 

I have one year here but am still learning to be NICA. For the first time I watered the dirt. The people here always water the dirt outside. To keep cool or idk...so I helped a family do that the other day. Yep..I am NICA. haha.

So we tried going to the health center to get a free checkup but they were closed...only accepting emergency...so the lady just gave me medicine...ya its a bit easier to get medicine here. haha. Although another member thinks I have an infection. 

So we ended lunch with our member....we just didn`t want to eat there anymore.  So now we are going to cook for ourselves... 

So we had stake conference. They have this great new program! Mondays are FHE. Tuesday-Thursday is helping your family to live standards. Saturday is a talent show in the church. and Sundays they are going to have a broadcast from the first presidency. COOL huh?! They are really focusing on being strong in the church. Are they doing that there in California? The other broadcast was from dallin h. oaks, and other apostles. It was good. We didn`t have investigators, but I did learn a lot. 

The night of the funeral, our convert Ezequiel was outside. We had told him in the day casually that we would pass by. Well it was like 8:30pm and he was there. Everyone else in his house was sleeping. We asked why he was up and he said he was waiting for us. And he wasn`t tired. I knew he was, but my heart was touched that he waited for us. His grandpa said he waited for us one night but we never came. So now we know if we say we might pass by we have to pass by. Luckily we live on the same street. 

So another lesson with Juana. We taught part of lesson 2. She asked us, if we were in God`s presence before, why are we here? Such a good question!!! It made us think. I know in the past I always said to get a body. But why? Think about it...why would we come here if we were comfortable, pain free with God? Well our purpose is to become like God. We can learn in heaven but we won`t be able to become like God unless we came to earth to get a body, learn, struggle, progress...etc. We had to leave his presence to reach our divine potential and to become like him. I tell you...she is prepared. We just have to work on bringing her to church.

I love this work! I love the mission! I love the experiences! 

Love,
Hermana Chase

P.s....tomorrow we find out if I have changes.. (transfers) .I don`t think so. 

ENDURE
Look unto me, and ENDURE to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life. -3 nephi 15:9

`For many of us, the word ENDURE conjures up feelings of pain or fatigue, accompanied by images of weary saints doggedly staying the course amidst hardship. A friend said to me, `Most of those `endure to the end` talks depress the dickens out of me.` But endurance is not so much about pain as it is about resolution. 

Stephen E. Robinson has written: `the critical question is not one of getting into the kingdom but of staying in the kingdom-- of enduring to the end. For we must choose on an ongoing basis to remain, and that choice must be reflected in what we love and in what we seek. That is why enduring to the end is the fifth principle of the gospel. Daily, our question shouldn`t be `Have I made it to the kingdom yet?` but rather, `Do I still want to stay?`  

-John Bytheway

No comments:

Post a Comment